Friday, November 24, 2006

Which is better?

To have someone smarter than you or someone who is smart but not quite at your level? Usually I find that I am the one way out of someone's league. Invariably I always seem to attract the ones who are not quite at my intelllectual and sophisticated level yet the ones up there I would like to meet continue to elude me. Now I am faced with a dilemma. Well it's not really a dilemma. More of a conundrum. I've met someone on-line and we've been talking on the phone for the last two days for up to two hours each time. He seems nice enough but starts rambling about friends of his I've never met and telling me all about their relationship woes. And I am too polite to say "I really don't give a rat's ass about your friends and their problems. I don't know them so why are you boring me with all their issues?" He's also told me all about his very messed up two previous marrigaes. Okay, very well, I've had one broken marriage myself so that I can listen to. But the clincher is he's already jumped light-years ahead with "If we hit off...if we click...if we start a relationship...if we get married..." and we haven't even had a first date yet. And then he even went so far as to tell me certain intimate things about himself that quite frankly I don't need to know right away. We haven't even met face to face. I feel like he just wants all the cards on the table, dealt face up, so he knows what he's getting into. It's because he's been screwed over in the past and doesn't want to leave anything to chance. On the one hand I can understand that. But, on the other there is no mystery to this person. I am sure he's a great guy but by exposing himself too much too soon it is a turn off to my adventurous heart that seeks a little more excitement. He would be safe and dependable. I suppose at my age I need to stop being so picky. But he may discover that truly I am too intelligent and cultured for him and he may drop me. And I am used to that. So used to it in fact that I wouldn't even bat an eyelash and instead just thank God for saving me from another mistake. But I know one thing for sure. If this latetest internet date goes awry then I am taking my profile off the on-line dating circuit forever. And I will never use it again. I will have to look elsewhere for my soulmate. Cyber-mates are a shot in the dark.

No comments: